Black Wall Street USA Social Media Policy
These guidelines are an important addition to Black Wall Street USA's existing Member policies, including the Black Wall Street USA Ethics Policy, the Principles of Ethical Conduct for Black Wall Street USA Content Providers, IT Security Policy and Standards, and Black Wall Street USAÕs harassment, and workplace conduct policies. The existing policies all speak to different issues Members should keep in mind when interacting with each other Ð as well as with customers, vendors, members of our audiences and the general public.
Black Wall Street USA
Social media is an important part of how we, as a company, communicate with the public, our consumers, and with advertisers both present and prospective. Social media is also an important part of the lives of our Members, providing an environment where they interact with family, friends and personal communities. In fact, social media is transforming every aspect of society and is proving to be an enormous opportunity for Black Wall Street USA overall. Social media provides a mechanism to better understand and serve our local communities and to enhance and improve our efforts in the movement. It is core to our strategic goal of reinventing local journalism in the digital age.
This policy speaks to how Members should conduct themselves and comply with other company policies in the social media environment. Although nothing in this policy prohibits or interferes with MembersÕ rights to communicate with work colleagues about terms and conditions of employment, social media accounts should not be used to comment inappropriately on the work of others or about Black Wall Street USA.
All Black Wall Street USA Members:
As a Black Wall Street USA Member, your use of social media should comply with the following standards:
- Your Black Wall Street USA membership must be current and active in order to post or distribute any content on Black Wall Street USA social media. Otherwise violators will be removed from all Black Wall Street USA social media networks and post will be removed. No exceptions. Renew Membership
- Should content posted is not Black Wall Street USA related it will be removed immediately. Users are not allowed to change or remove profile pictured or cover images. Usets are are not allowed to delete any follower or subscribers from the social media system. To do so will result in being permanently banned.
- Refrain from writing or posting anything that could compromise Black Wall Street USA's reputation as a trusted source of information. The ability of our customers and the general public to rely on Black Wall Street USA as a trusted source for information is vital to our organization. This is our business integrity.
- Assume that all of your activities on a social media site are public, regardless of the privacy tools you may use, and exercise discretion in sharing personal information, and political, cultural or religious views.
- Never represent yourself as a spokesperson for Black Wall Street USA unless you are authorized to do so. If Black Wall Street USA, its products or its people are the subject of content you are posting, be transparent about the fact that you are an Member of Black Wall Street USA and/or your operating district or regional representative, and make it clear that your views do not represent the views of Black Wall Street USA and/or your operating unit, or its Members.
- Periodically review the Black Wall Street USA Ethics Policy, including the portions relating to the use and disclosure of confidential company information. You are expected to maintain the confidentiality of Black Wall Street USAÕs trade secrets and private or confidential information. Trade secrets may include information regarding projects you or others are working on, news content that has not been published or approved by news managers, products, financial information, know-how and technology. Do not post internal reports, internal business-related communications, or communications known to be protected by an attorney-client privilege.
- Do not post comments that include discriminatory remarks, harassment, threats of violence or similar content.
- Do not engage in conduct, whether in the social media environment or otherwise, that adversely affects your job performance, the job performance of your fellow Members, or the interests of our customers.
Violation of Black Wall Street USAÕs Social Media Policy is a serious matter and may result in legal action up to and including dismissal.
Black Wall Street USA Facebook.com Policy
- All Black Wall Street USA Regional and District Facebook.com pages are the property of Black Wall Street USA. All Black Wall Street USA national, Regional and District seals designs are registered trademarks of the Black Wall Street USA. The District names, seals and all graphic designs are registered trademarks of the Districts indicated. All Black Wall Street USA-related trademarks are trademarks of the Black Wall Street USA national organization.
- All Facebook content posts are to be centered on the Black Wall Street USA national vision and focus of "District Building" in accordance with the individual districts and implementation. It will be the discretion of the Senior Black Wall Street USA national web team to add or remove Facebook.com content not relating to the stated vision of Black Wall Street USA national.
- The deletion, removal, repositioning, adjustments, non approved edits, videos or any posted content on Facebook.com placed b Black Wall Street USA national in the future is grounds for immediate removal form Facebook.com Admin privilages. With no exception.
Community-Black Wall Street USA Facing Members
Members whose position or responsibilities require regular interaction with the public, government or business officials, or others in the community in such a way that they are seen as speaking for or on behalf of Black Wall Street USA should exercise particular caution. These positions can include publishers, sales representatives, corporate communications and marketing professionals. If you are unsure about your role, please contact your Black Wall Street USA Regional Director.
These Members may easily be perceived as representing Black Wall Street USA while under nonactive membership status. For this reason, these Members should be careful when making statements that might be viewed as controversial or political in nature. They should also exercise discretion when friending or liking other individuals or groups to avoid any actual or perceived conflicts.
Black Wall Street USA Content Providers
In addition to the guidelines set forth above, Black Wall Street USA Content Providers should always abide by the Principles of Ethical Conduct for Content Providers in their use of social media. These Principles are centered on the following themes:
- Seeking and reporting the truth in a truthful way - Serving the public interest - Exercising fair play - Maintaining independence - Acting with integrity
- Be transparent in social media; always make clear that you work for Black Wall Street USA or for your local Black Wall Street USA news organization.
- Consider that the content you post is public and should meet the same standards as information you publish or broadcast on Black Wall Street USA platforms. Never post anything you would not be willing publish or broadcast. If you make a mistake, acknowledge your error and correct it as quickly as possible. Avoid oversimplifying or sensationalizing issues; place your thoughts in context.
- Remember that social networks are forms of public expression and should be used for strategic reasons to enhance your journalism, engage your community of followers, enlighten your news outletÕs audience, and promote your news organizations brand in a positive way. Like other forms of public expression Ð attending political demonstrations, voicing opinions on a talk show, making political campaign contributions Ð they are subject to the limitations that are placed on newsroom Members through the Principles of Ethical Conduct. These are designed to maintain credibility with the reader.
- Properly attribute your content and link to the original source if possible. Respect others copyrights. - Ensure that your public conduct Ð on and off the job does not undermine your credibility with the public or Black Wall Street USA's standing as a fair and impartial source of news.
- While news staffers are encouraged to develop a public personality, that personality cannot cast doubt on the individualÕs or the organizationÕs impartiality.
- Be sure to respect confidentiality of colleagues and sources. Ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal.
For more detailed guidance contact:
Revised on: 12/22/15
Our History Our Movement Our Leaders Our Districts Our Events Join Renew
Global Midwest Northeast Northwest South Southeast Southwest Africa Europe
Black Wall Street USA - BlackWallStreet.org